BUTTERFLIES ARE EMBLEMS OF GLEE // Poem by Abdurrashid Abdurrahman

 



When butterflies fall on flowers in the garden,

their scent perfumes the air. With wings

that circulate from hydrangea to rose,

between my legs; they try to share blessings.


I see a fleeting vision of my shadow, with 

a smile on her mighty face, immense eyes, 

And colored lips, like a crescent on the black 

sky, passing without any form of greetings.


My night is sleepless; on that day, I 

witnessed what is called beauty with

each step. Praying, one day should be

my lifetime friend, to care about her like

an egg on a spoon. And sing a song for

gentleness, with peace and glee.


©️ Abdurrashid Abdurrahman


Abdurrashid Abdurrahman (Newborn Poet 1) is a Nigerian teen writer from Gombe state. A student of Jibwis Islamic Secondary School, Gombe. He is a poet, short story writer and essayist. Also, he is a member of Jewel Literary and Creativity Foundation, The Newborn Poets, and Hill-Top Creative Arts Foundation, (Gombe state chapter )