BEAUTIFUL YESTERDAY ( REMINISCENCE) //Poem by_ Rita Peter Okoro_



Like a newly birthed eagle

Springing out from the horizon

With so much anticipation

To embrace higher living, freedom and accomplishments

It was the first exit

From the citadel of learning

Tomorrow is gazing at my face

Regions to visit

Rivers to cross

Many peaks to attain

Juliet’s Romeo to meet

Here’s the world

Beyond borders

Here’s power, influence and the path to choose

Here’s a journey of a million steps

Here’s winning

Would I climb the mountains?

Can I change the narrative?

Will my name be written on the sands of time?

I can start living after all?

I can try...

What if it’s not noticed?

What if I can’t reach there?

But I did reach the target

I made the impact

My name is on the lips of all the young people in the region

Yes! I shone the light

On the hearts of the young

I gave them a reason to try

I gave them a platform to shine

I let them make a name

And they made my name too

In my hands laid the evidence of impact

The media held the memories

Posterity told the story

Memories...

The young lady from far away Igbo state

Amiable, yet focused

Soft spoken yet determined

To stand out I dared

The impossibilities? Obvious

Yet, the possibility is tangible

The wings of the wind opened

She rode!

Nature saw her and helped her

Nothing could stop here

Gradually, every bit came together

Gradually, the stories became a headline

Yes! She held her dreams in her hands!

That was the platform

Meant to be the stepping stone

Into the life she dreamt of

Everything worked well

Everyone said yes

But the treacherous ones connived ...

How can she walk into prominence while we watch?

No, even if she deserves it, she won’t get it

Even life itself is not fair

"Wait" they said

She waited and waited

Days turned into weeks

Weeks turned into months

Then a year passed

She kept the hope

She kept waiting

But yesterday became a dream

Beautiful yesterday stayed in the past!


© Rita Peter Okoro_


Mrs. Rita Peter-Okoro is an astute Educator and freelance writer. She is a graduate of Chemistry from the University of Calabar (1998). She is a nationally and internationally certified Teacher with a wealth of experience in the Education sector. Rita Peter-Okoro was awarded with twin awards after her NYSC in Akwa- Ibom State: NYSC Year 2000 Akwa- Ibom State Governor’s Award and NYSC Year 2000 Eket Local Government Award for promoting Science Education .Rita Peter-Okoro is married to Mr. Peter Okoro and their union is blessed with children. She is currently a Head of School in Port Harcourt where she lives with her family