IF THIS IS THE LAST BREATH I TAKE// Poem by Ayanda Edna Dlanga

 


If this is the last breath i take , 

I want it to be with you 

I want you to hold me close and say forever, 

Like always, always together 

I want to look into your eyes and swim to the very depths of the ocean 

Feel your waters rise and fall back in denial of reality 

Because that's where we said till infinity 

I want it to be you that reads me my favorite book 

And with it ,motion to a better setting Where the sun never sets nor the clouds ever burst 

Where trees are greener and plants always bloom

Where we'll be young forevermore...

I want to sing to you one last time so forever you'll cherish 

I want to grab onto you so time never slips, and be stuck in this moment forever. 



If this is the last breath i take ;

I want you to take me back to when it was all just a dream 

You and me 

A sweet terrifying illusion ,

Where we danced till dawn and talked to sleep 

Where it all hurt more ,

Yet it moved us all

And when i finally make it out of here ,

I will let everyone know , i lived .



©️Ayanda Edna Dlanga


Ayanda Edna Dlanga is a young South African poet with the dream of becoming an acclaimed author. Fueled with a lifelong love for storytelling and expressing emotions as they are.