WEAVING A WOMAN'S LEGACY/ Poem by Ajibola Rahmat Olaitan



 From dusk to dawn

She became life's pawn,

Permit a woman of her words

To speak true and fight her way around the spheres of the world,

Her feet sunken and her heart half bitten

The stars sees her cry and sends down nothing but pity.

She was accosted by life's shenanigans

Blasphemed and tagged a hooligan

From her day of birth

To the day she'll end up six feet below

Her cries were muffled

In eerie silence, her tone low.

Permit a woman whose life story became the world's comedy

She wept because her fate could not be remedied

Here's a woman whose grave was dug before her birth

For she was cursed, like the world proclaimed.

Permit a woman who was more than a conquerer

But, humanity held no place for her

Her breathing space invaded

As life whirled her around and beat her down

One unholy nights in the street

She found herself splayed at men's feet

Paired with groping hands,

Each stealing a piece of her private share

Till she became a laughing stock for others to smear.

"Through her pain, she declared"

I know my journey here hasn't ended

There will be days when my eyes will water and I will not bend

Like them, I now curse my existence.

Roaming the streets like a lost shepherd

Infant in her arms, father unknown

Fearing not death as it was a welcome relief

From the weight of her own spirit,

To finally freedom in heaven

Peace, in the cradle of her helper.

Give way for a woman

Whom the world wrote off and turned a mockery

Her life inspires and time uncovers her trials

From a feeble helplessness to becoming a force

A force that conquered many miles on her own.

"In a whispered tone and amidst teardrop she said"

I'm not a woman who has lived a life of ease

And the world never came to reason with any of my pleas

Here I am living in the castle of peace,

For I knew much earlier to build my life in a place of thorny trees.

I hope my legacy is one that would forever be remembered

And my story brings peace and makes people stronger!

Iam a woman who has seen the left and right of the world.


©️ Ajibola Rahmat 


Ajibola Rahmat is a teenage poetess, dedicated girl-child advocate and creative writer who channels her passion for language and storytelling into empowering narratives beyond words.